domingo, 21 de abril de 2013

Our little place

Although it is quite small and many times it looks overcrowded, the staff room is, at least for me, one of the most important places in the school.  Why? Mainly because it is a sharing place...
It is the staff room where you share you daily comments of what have happened in the classroon, where you tell your sister teacher a rumour you have heard, where you complain about the misbehaviour of the kids, where you sit down for a minute, close your eyes and you breathe deeply trying to make dissapear the feeling of almost killing someone who has bothered you the whole afternoon. It is the staff room the "private" place where you can show your emotions, where you are allowed to cry when you feel overwhelmed, and where you receive a piece of advice or a hug when you do not know what to do.
I like the staff room because it is a place where I can learn. I learn from my co workers, from their experiences, from their pieces of advice, from their company. I learn from the "sharing".
It is so necessary to work with someone else who helps you or teaches you just with a comment or with a word of encoraugement that many times we did not realize that this happens to us daily.

It is not the first time that I say this, but I feel so happy with my "dream team", that it is one of the main reasons that makes me enjoy going to the school.
I've never felt alone, I've never felt "marginalized" because of being new. Even, the first year I was in the school, I got Flavia's help  and that made the work easier. I remember Dai asking me "and? how's the group? how do feel? are you happy?" simple questions that made me feel I could trust someone else and ask them "what shall I do now?".

To sum up, I have reflected upon this place because it is a place full of emotions, not only tears but also happiness, it is a place with challenges, advices, solidarity, humility, friendship, and where we show our feelings not only as teachers or professionals, but also, as persons... 

3 comentarios:

  1. I love your reflections regarding such a tiny space which is always taken for granted.While I was Reading you post I was thinking about the trenches for the soldiers during the world war and the book A Farewell to Arms. It doesn't mean that I think of the school as the battlefield (or maybe, internally, deep in my mind I associate it purposefully) but because of the comradeship that is established in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of our duties. The place we all wish to go after the "battle" in the classroom. The place que find trnauility. The place were "sisterhood" is developed. Thanks for making me reflect upon this important place in my daily life!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. WOW Sabri! how attentive you are to certain things most of us do not stop to think about! It is nice to read your respectful words towards your mates, in fact it is not only respect but admiration, what you transmit and it is true that it is not the first time you devote your time to reflecting and making all of us aware of the nice group we have at our woiking place.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. What a beautiful and touching reflection you´ve written. We, Patsy & I feel the same as regards working in this team. Kisses

    ResponderEliminar