miércoles, 8 de abril de 2015

Changing the audience

On December I ended the year by saying "I need a change". This year, I got to know that that change had come. After spending four years in 6th form, this time I had to face 4th formers with all the readjustments that it implies.

It may seem something obvious but it is not the same the way you interact with a pre-teen and a kid. I realized that after so many years I had my mind and my teaching style adapted to elder children. 
While giving explanations or setting examples I got to know through their faces that I was not being clear enough for them, so quickly, I had to resort to easier or simpler ways. Of course, this process took only seconds, and they are things that you notice and that can be solved on the go. 

I feel really comfortable with this new challenge. Although I have a VERY noisy and talkative group, I find it a little bit easier to set limits related to behaviour and discipline. Pre-teens get used to confront you but little kids (generally) tend to comply with your orders easily.

It is essential whenever you are in front of a group to bear in mind their level and age. And, you, as a teacher, should readjust, readapt and retrain yourself in order to suit them. Only in that way, an appropiate interaction can take place.

2 comentarios:

  1. Sabri,
    I’ve read in Cele’s blog about changes, how important they are and how they make us grow. And noticing that you needed and wanted a change has shown that you’ve matured as a teacher. I tend to feel scared when I’m asked to change, I never dared ask for it!! When Vivi asked me to start in 5th I didn’t want to as I was so comfortable in 3rd. And after 5 years in 5th I didn’t want to change to 6th either. Changes imply adjustments, differences, extra work and you’ve been happy to take the risk!
    I think you are making an excellent team with Anita. You work hard and you are a sweet teacher, ideal for 4th formers who are starting to feel bigger but they still have childish ideas.
    I hope you have a great year, you deserve it! Good luck!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Sabri you know I am very happy with all the work we are doing together!! 4th is a nice level, it´s a lovely age to teach. I am sure you´ll have a wonderful year!

    ResponderEliminar